BOG Meeting Minutes – January 30, 2013

Print This Post Print This Post

1. Minutes. The minutes of January 16, 2013, were accepted with two corrections:
(1) Date of the end of the current continuing resolution is March 27, not March 23; and
(2) The new metro subsidy is $245, not $230.

2. Merit Selection Modification. Pres. Moteff described a request from management that CREA grant permission for modifications to the merit selection article [or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)] to address a current situation in Inquiry. The MOU would allow GS-11 employees in the Inquiry unit to be able to rotate responsibilities for review assignments. (Review assignments are part of the position description for GS-12 employees in the Inquiry Unit).

Gov. Jones moved that the Board support and grant permission/approval to Pres. Moteff to pursue the MOU with Doug for the purposes of making this assignment rotation work in the Inquiry Unit. Gov. Hardy-Vincent seconded and the motion passed.

3. President’s Meeting with the Director. Pres. Moteff mentioned that two main topics were discussed: (1) another controversy around a CRS report and (2) sequestration. Concerns around the report include the review process and possible burdensome new procedures. A task force is underway. Little information about sequestration was yet available.

4. CREA Office Staffing Proposal. Pres. Moteff distributed a proposal. He requested that comments on the job requirements be sent directly to him.

Meeting adjourned at 1:05 p.m.

Attendees:

Beverly Campbell
Valerie Grasso
Carol Hardy-Vincent
Cathi Jones
Jack Moteff
Libby Perl
Brian Reeder
Abigail Rudman
Linda-Jo Schierow

BOG Meeting Minutes – January 16, 2013

Print This Post Print This Post

1. Minutes. The minutes of January 9, 2013, were amended to correct reference to Ms. Grasso as a governor.

2. Meeting with Dennis Hanratty, Library HR. Not much new information about the budget situation. He did note that cuts for the Library may take effect March 1 rather than March 23. The commuting subsidy has been re-raised to $230. Anyone who had expenses above the $125 level during the period it was lowered will get a retroactive refund.

3. Library’s Budget Announcement. See above.

4. Latest on Iron Port. Steward Cook briefed the Board on the January 11 Iron Port meeting. Progress was made on eliminating the need to categorize websites before they will be cleared for access. There was resistance to discussing the 24-hour turnaround on clearing sites. Management representatives suggested that walkup machines with open access located around the building can be a solution to any issues with blocked websites; this is not a viable solution in many cases. There is still no guidance on how to respond to clients about being unable to fulfill requests due to blocked access to sites.

5. Steward Elections. Goal is to have them done soon. VP Jefferson will coordinate with governors.

6. Grievances. Two grievances currently at Step 2. The first is recurring from last year and concerns CREA’s belief that management has not followed requirements from a special announcement concerning consultation with OIC in harassment cases, particularly in a recent case involving a dispute between an employee and supervisor. The grievance committee recommended moving forward. Gov. Schierow moved for taking the case to arbitration. Gov. Stouffer seconded, the motion passed unanimously.
The second case involves CREA’s belief that the Library is not properly following EEO procedures and differing interpretations of 1984 and 1998 LCRs concerning the role of the Office of General Counsel at EEO hearings. The grievance committee did not vote on this issue. The Board refrained from voting until the committee votes and we hear back from legal counsel.

Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.

Attendees:

David Bradley
Beverly Campbell
Valerie Grasso
Carol Hardy-Vincent
Cathi Jones
Chris Lewis
Julius Jefferson
Jack Moteff
Libby Perl
Abby Rudman
Linda-Jo Schierow
Bryan Sinquefield
Mallary Stouffer
Sean Farrell

BOG Meeting Minutes – January 9, 2013

Print This Post Print This Post

1. Minutes. The minutes of January 2, 2013, were accepted.

2. Meeting with Deputy Librarian. Pres. Moteff’s quarterly meeting with Dep. Lib. Dizard focused mostly on budget and potential sequestration. The Library is discussing options such as shutdown, furloughs, cutbacks in employee spending, and cutbacks in capitol police activity. They do not expect a full shutdown. The Library is willing to negotiate over furloughs, and doesn’t expect to give special treatment to any service unit of the Library over another.

3. Meeting with IFPTE Chris Langford. Meeting was productive, Mr. Langford will help CREA develop and implement a recruiting strategy. VP Grasso will chair a new membership committee; goal is to have someone from each division/office on the committee, and to form it within the next few weeks.

4. Open Time. Two grievances are currently in arbitration, the Board will vote next week on whether to proceed. The IronPort meeting will be on Friday, January 11.

Meeting adjourned at 12:45 p.m.

Attendees:

Philip Brogsdale
Valerie Grasso
Carol Hardy-Vincent
Chris Lewis
Julius Jefferson
Jack Moteff
Abby Rudman
Linda-Jo Schierow
Mallary Stouffer

BOG Meeting Minutes – January 2, 2013

Print This Post Print This Post

1. Minutes. The minutes of December 18, 2012, were accepted.

2. Meeting with Chris Langford, IFPTE. Mr. Langford specializes in recruiting and has offered to help us. Meeting has been set for Tues, January 8, 11 am. Goal is to get someone from every division to attend, and use this as a basis for forming a new membership committee. We need motivated volunteers, ideally from every division, to sit on the committee for a year. Can be any CREA member.

3. Steward Elections. Goal is to have them completed by the end of January. VP Jefferson will coordinate with governors on logistics. Electing stewards in divisions that have none is a priority.

4. CBA Bargaining Status. Scheduling issues with the mediator and management have slowed progress. Alternatives are being considered. We also have a slot open on the mediation team. Governors are encouraged to ask around for volunteers or make recommendations.

5. Open Time. Alternatives for replacing Jasmine Marcellus (who was at CRS in a temporary position) in the CREA office are being considered. Pres. Moteff and VP Jefferson will prepare a posting to discuss with the Board soon, and a selection committee may be needed.
Pres. Moteff to meet with Library HR about potential for shutdowns, furloughs due to budgetary concerns and potential sequestration. The status of grad recruits is still uncertain. The program expires in the spring; we want to keep it going, but it’s unlikely anything can be finalized until budget issues are more certain.

Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.

Attendees:

David Bradley
Philip Brogsdale
Cathi Jones
Beverly Campbell
Chris Lewis
Julius Jefferson
Jack Moteff
Libby Perl
Bryan Sinquefield