Wednesday, September 3, 2008
1. Minutes. The minutes of August 27, 2008, were approved.
2. Election of Lucy Martinez as a New Governor from CAC. After Ms. Martinez had been introduced to the Board by President Roth, Governor Moteff nominated her to serve as a Board Governor. Governor Ester seconded. The vote in favor was unanimous.
3. Discussion of IFPTE Convention Delegate Responsibilities. Governor Tilson briefly presented a set of proposed instructions and expectations for the delegate-to-be. Discussion ensued. The Board expressed a sense that it was comfortable with the Communications Team adding a few post-convention reporting requirements before finalizing and sending the instructions to the membership.
4. Discussion of CREA Investment Strategy. Governor Tilson summarized the prospective merits and risks of several investment options, including CDs, index funds, and managed commission-based funds. Discussion turned to the CREA Constitutional requirement that the union invest in government-backed securities. After further discussion of investing in CDs staggered at three-month intervals, the Board expressed a sense that the Communications Team should send out a solicitation to the membership for Investment Committee volunteers. The Board, as always, has final responsibility in all investment decisions. The Board also agreed that making individual contact with CREA members well-versed in matters of investing and finance is encouraged.
5. Preparation for CREA Annual Meeting. Vice President Reeder has volunteered to chair the meeting. During discussion, Governors Grasso and Martinez agreed to draft a list of possible outside speakers with President Roth.
6. Master Contract Up for Renegotiation. After discussion of telework under the new part-time policy and Representative Hoyer’s proposal for a four-day, 40-hour workweek, Governors Ester and Smole agreed to systematically analyze the substance and procedural requirements of the contract with Treasurer Siskin and President Roth.
7. Training of the Membership. President Roth asked for course suggestions. Governor Moteff suggested negotiation training. President Roth said he would make inquiries.
Meeting adjourned at 1 p.m.