1. Minutes. The minutes of November 5, 2008, were accepted with a few modifications. The minutes of November 12, 2008, were accepted.
2. Authoring and Publishing System — Next Steps. Discussion ensued. Topics of concern included the need to ensure that CRS service to Congress is of the highest quality throughout the Service’s transition to the new system; the potential impact of publishing authors’ direct contact information; the role and responsibility of management in ensuring the system’s success; and the merits of holding periodic information sessions with implementation team members. The Board expressed the sense that CREA should document any problems resulting from the publication of author contact information; request and analyze Help Desk data on problems reported in the new system; and inform management that it reserves the right to bargain 90 to 180 days after the system’s launch.
3. Library Cafeteria Workers. After discussion of four recent layoffs and a reassignment in a longtime cafeteria employee’s duties, the Board agreed that President Roth should seek information from the cafeteria workers’ union and report back to the board. President Roth also will check with a Library committee that monitors food services.
4. Negotiation Training — Planning and Promotion. The Board agreed that the training should be offered to those interested in attending a single day of the two-day session, and that President Roth should try to schedule it for January 9-10, 2009.
5. Office of Personnel Management Rule on Faster Promotions. President Roth distributed a Fedsmith.com article about a new OPM rule, to become effective March 9, 2009, that eliminates the “time-in-grade” requirement for promotions.
Meeting adjourned at 1 p.m.