1. Minutes. The minutes of March 20, 2013, were accepted.
2. Former President Roth on Contract. Pres. Moteff has reached out to Mr. Roth concerning his assistance with writing briefs, etc., for cases he was involved with before he retired.
3. Meeting with Library re: Budget Impact of Furloughs. Library management decided to implement three furlough days across all departments equally. Hiring freezes and spending cuts in anticipation of sequester did prevent more furlough days. Figures were distributed indicating cost savings of furlough days, voluntary LWOP, and spending cuts by department.
4. CRS Hiring while Furloughing. CRS was fairly aggressive in hiring freezes prior to sequester; there may be money available, and hiring may be picking up (based on increase in number of positions currently posted). CRS well below its quota (authorized for 651 employees; currently have around 600). Some employees have raised concerns about the idea of hiring new employees while current employees are being furloughed. Sense of the Board is not to protest hiring while furloughing; CRS has hiring needs, all divisions seem to have key positions that are not currently filled. Board would like to know how decisions are being made as to which vacancies are being posted, and to see figures indicating budget impact of new hires.
5. Membership Drive. IFPTE is asking all locals to have membership drives. VP Grasso would like to increase recruitment activities, and believes personal and sustained effort will be more successful than holding one large event alone. People may not be joining in some cases because they haven’t been personally asked. Board agrees with recruitment plans. Chris Langford (IFPTE) will be asked to speak to Board and Stewards; we need to get the latter involved. Still have leadership gaps—no Governors or Stewards from G&F, no Governors from ALD.
6. Open Time. We had more applicants than money available for the scholarship fund this year; Gov. Stouffer would like the Board to consider increasing the fund.
Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.