CREA Board Meeting Minutes
May 28, 2014
Meeting Started 12:05 p.m.
Betty Jean Oladapo
Carol Hardy Vincent
Minutes: Accepted with minor edits.
Scholarship/Loan Repayment Eligibility: Background was provided on the history of the scholarship/loan repayment program. In developing the program the people tried to create a system that could make decisions about equally qualified candidates in a simple and fair manner. The prior program was killed because of lack of interest and the burden of the paperwork required.
The issue around making governors eligible for the scholarship:
- There may be the perception that there could be abuse or could be seen as a conflict of interest. Crossing the boundary of fiduciary responsibility.
- Others do not see this as a conflict of interest and contend that governors allocate money for other events that they take part in, such as the ice cream social.
- Concerns that some people may not want to be governors because of being ineligible or that governors, who by definition, are active union members will miss out.
- Others argue that instead of being governors, such people could be stewards.
Gov. Hardy Vincent made a motion to amend the criteria for the scholarship/loan repayment so that members of the board would be eligible. Gov. Figliola seconded the motion.
Gov. Figliola offered a second degree friendly amendment to put Board of Governor members last in the pile (i.e., after all other applications are adjudicated and awarded if money is remaining then look at the applications from board members.)
Gov. Mangan offered a friendly amendment to the second degree amendment, that the scholarship/loan committee could not come back to the board and ask to increase the scholarship/loan budget to allow for funds for applications from a board member. Gov. Figliola accepted the friendly amendment.
Gov. Hardy Vincent accepted the second degree amendment, as amended, as a friendly amendment.
Motion failed 2 to 7.
The Board noted that there was support for putting on the agenda a discussion of whether children of CREA members should be eligible for scholarships.
- Julius still needs to talk to the member about ideas of what a centennial event would be.
- According to the director, information about the gala hasn’t been posted because they are awaiting RSVPs from former Members.
Meeting adjourned at 12:40.