In accordance with the provisions of Articles II and VII of the CREA Constitution, I hereby announce that an election of CREA Officers, Governors, Stewards, and Delegates to the 2018 convention of the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE) will be held on:
When: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 from 8:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. (time has been updated)
Where: Dining Room A, 6th Floor, James Madison Building (place has been updated)
Who may vote: All members in good standing as of September 13, 2017 (Identification is required to vote)
We hereby establish the following rules and procedures for the election:
Positions to Be Filled
- Executive Offices of: President, Vice President for Policy and Dispute Resolution, Vice President for Bargaining and Liaison, Treasurer, and Secretary, to serve also as de facto Delegates to the 2018 IFPTE convention, as outlined in the CREA and IFPTE Constitutions;
- Governors of all CRS divisions and offices;
- Stewards of all CRS divisions and offices; and
- An At-Large Delegate to the IFPTE 2018 convention. (no nominating petitions were received for At-Large Delegate)
In order to be nominated, a petition of nomination is required. CREA members may sign as many petitions as they choose, without incurring an obligation to vote for the nominee. Only nominated candidates can appear on the ballot; write-in candidates cannot be elected. Only CREA members may be nominated for office, sign petitions, and vote.
To be nominated, a candidate for:
- Executive Officer must receive signatures from no fewer than 20% of CREA’s membership (50 signatures).
- Governor must receive at least 15 signatures from CREA members, of which total not more than 10 may be from any one division or office.
- Steward must receive signatures from at least 1/3 of the CREA membership of the candidate’s division or office. (Ask me for the number calculated for your division or office).
- At-Large Delegate to the IFPTE convention must receive signatures from no fewer than 20% of CREA’s membership (50 signatures).
Nominated candidates are asked to submit, with the nominating petition, a statement and/or biography of 100 or fewer words to email@example.com. The statement will be sent via email to CREA members for their consideration before the election and will be posted on the CREA website.
Deadline for Submitting Nominating Petitions
Petitions of nomination must be submitted to the CREA office by 5 p.m. on September 13, 2017.
Notification to Membership of Candidates
After the close of nominations, the Secretary will notify CREA’s membership by email of the nominated candidates. Also, in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 7120 and related implementing provisions, the Secretary will mail a Notice of Election to each CREA member not less than 15 days prior to the election at the member’s last known home address. If you are not sure that CREA has your current home address, please notify CREA immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All dues-paying CREA members as of September 13, 2017, are eligible to vote in the election.
Time and Place of the Election
The Election will be held on Wednesday, October 4, 2017. The ballot box for casting votes will be located outside of Dining Room A, on the 6th Floor of the Madison Building, near the entrance to the cafeteria. Official ballots will be provided for each qualified voter at the ballot box; bring your employee ID. Balloting will open at 7:30 a.m. and close promptly at 5:30 p.m. Members of CREA who are voting will be required to do so on non-duty time (e.g., before or after work, at lunchtime, or on break). The election results will be announced no later than October 9, 2017. Elected candidates will be sworn in at the annual membership meeting, Wednesday, October 11, 2017, in LM-316.
If a CREA member will not be able to vote on the day of the election, an absentee ballot can be obtained from the CREA office, LM-412, beginning September 20, 2017. Absentee ballots should be received back in the CREA office no later than 5 p.m. on October 3, 2017. Absentee ballots may be slipped securely under the CREA door, if it is locked. Mailed ballots should be addressed to: CREA Secretary, Congressional Research Employees Association, LM-412, 101 Independence Ave., SE, Washington, DC 20540-7999. Because of significant delays in receiving outside mail, hand delivery of absentee ballots is strongly recommended.
Voting instructions will be included with the ballot available at the polling place on election day.
- Officers are elected at-large. Each dues-paying CREA member may vote for only one (1) candidate for each executive office. In the case of a tie, a runoff election will be held.
- Governors are elected at-large. Each dues-paying CREA member may vote for four (4) candidates. The candidates with the most votes shall be elected to the Board of Governors, except that not more than three (3) shall be elected from any one division or office, and each division or office is entitled to at least one (1).
- Stewards are elected by division or office. Each dues-paying CREA member may vote for two (2) candidates from his or her division or office. The two (2) candidates who receive the most votes in each division or office will be elected Stewards.
- The At-Large Delegate to the 2018 IFPTE convention is elected at-large. Each dues-paying CREA member may vote for only one (1) candidate for At-Large Delegate.
- August 9. Nominating petitions available; four printable petitions are attached to this letter (for Officers, Governors, Stewards, and for At-large Convention Delegates). Individuals must be dues-paying CREA members in order to sign petitions.
- September 13. Deadline for submitting nominating petitions.
- September 13. Date by which dues-paying membership is required for voting.
- September 20. Absentee ballots available.
- October 3. Deadline to submit absentee ballots (5 p.m.).
- October 4. Election Day.
- October 11. CREA’s annual meeting in LM-319. Elected candidates sworn in.
If you are a CREA member
Please talk with colleagues about how important it is that employees at CRS have a voice regarding workplace conditions. Please also vote and consider how you might become more involved, in a manageable way, in matters of importance to you. In the next few days, CREA will send out nomination petitions for steward, governor, and officer positions. Consider talking with your current representatives about their plans and whether you might be willing to run.
If you are not a CREA member
If you wish to vote, join CREA by submitting a payroll deduction form to CREA by September 13, 2017 to be eligible to vote in this election. We encourage you to talk with colleagues who are CREA representatives or members and consider joining. Please see the attached PDF for an informational brochure about CREA, its activities, and dues (one five-hundredth of salary, or 0.2%, or .002). Give completed forms to a CREA representative or drop them off at the CREA office, on the left side after you enter LM-412. If no one is in the office when you arrive, you may slip the completed form securely under CREA’s locked office door.
 CREA Constitution, Article VII, at http://creaunion.org/creas-constitution/, and IFPTE Constitution, Article 12, Section 12.2(b), at http://www.ifpte.org/downloads/members/Constitution.pdf#page=18.
 See 29 C.F.R. 458.29 (citing 29 U.S.C. 481(e); relating to federal employee union elections, generally), and IFPTE Constitution, Article 12, Section 12.2(b) (relating to local union elections for delegate to IFPTE conventions).