B.O.G. Meeting Minutes- March 26, 2014

CREA Board Meeting Minutes

March 26, 2014

Meeting Started 12:04 p.m.

In attendance:

Governors

 

Clint Brass

Patty Figliola

Michael Martin

Libby Perl

Betty Jean Oladapo

Brian Reeder

 

 

Officers

 

Valerie Grasso

Julius Jefferson

Jack Moteff

Alison Siskin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Others

 

Chelsea Robertson

 

 

 

Minutes: Next week.

White Paper Committee: Julius and Clint need another week to put the proposal together.

CBA Status: Contract with fact-finder (Joe Swerdzewski) has been signed. CREA and CRS have a conference call scheduled with the Swerdzewski today at 3.

Steward Training: Scheduled for April 22, 12:30-4:00. Governors may attend but will have to use their own leave.  Stewards get official time. Julius may approach the BOG later, if necessary, to secure funds to provide lunch during the training.

Brown Bags: Jack wants to initiate these monthly for any interested CREA Member.

IFPTE Federal Caucus: Jack, Julius and Valerie attended. Each local discussed issues with which they have had to contend over the last year and are anticipated in the coming year. There was much discussion on labor-management partnerships. The President’s executive order requiring organized efforts to engage in pre-decisional information exchange does not apply to us or GAO. However, it was useful to hear how the executive order is being implemented (or not) at other federal agencies.

Meeting with the Director: Jack had the monthly meeting with the Director. They discussed the centennial, hiring, IBC’s. IBC’s are seen as the process by which CRS satisfies its statutory requirements, but management is trying to reduce the effort involved so that they are not as burdensome.

Digitization: Preliminary scanning (to establish scanning requirements) still going well. It is becoming more streamlined.

Open mic:

  • Q: Anything new on the budget? A: No. Senate hearing is next month.
  • Research Assistants: Divisions are starting to hear about these positions. CREA will have to monitor the process and the new positions for possible issues. The RA’s will be eligible to join CREA.

B.O.G. Meeting Minutes – March 19, 2014

CREA Board Meeting Minutes

March 19, 2014

Meeting Started 12:05 p.m.

In attendance:

Governors

David Bradley

Clint Brass

Patty Figliola

Michael Martin

Bonnie Mangan

Libby Perl

Brian Reeder

Bryan Sinquefield

Mallary Stouffer

Carol Hardy Vincent

 

Officers

 

Phillip Brogsdale

Valerie Grasso

Julius Jefferson

Jack Moteff

Alison Siskin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Others

 

Chelsea Robertson

Cassandria Dortch

 

 

Minutes: Accepted with minor edits.

Membership Committee: Cassandria Dortch gave a presentation on the newly formed membership committee. The committee has met twice and wants to create: (1) a mission statement; and (2) a new member handbook. The committee discussed the possibility of having Mary Mazanec have a quote in the handbook to try to alleviate new staff’s fears that joining the union will impact their evaluations. The BOG will discuss. The President noted that there may be legal constraints on what the Director can contribute, and that the handbook might not be the best forum but it might be possible to get something similar in another forum. It was also noted that we don’t have control over who joins the union but do have control over who is contacted about joining, so having a goal of contacting certain bargaining members (e.g., all new staff) or a percentage the membership is probably a good aim.

IFPTE Federal Caucus: Jack, Julius and Valerie are going next Monday. Will report back.

Digitization Project: Bought the software and scanner on February 19, 2014. Needed to upgrade the operating system to work with the software. Chelsea had the training and is working on a manual of what records will be kept/not kept. Software seems to be working great. The software vendor has been supportive and there have not been issues that she hasn’t been able to resolve by calling them. Chelsea is training a CREA member on how to use the software and scanner so that there will be some in-house capacity and continuity should Chelsea leave. Next step will be to test whether Jack and Julius can successfully search for some documents.

White Papers Committee: Julius and Clint have an idea for CREA writing new white papers similar to the old CREAgrams. They would be written by analysts and attorneys in CRS  unbiased style on subjects such as the snow policy, performance, and promotion. The white papers could also be solely informational. Would need to form another committee. Bonnie commented that it could be an ad hoc committee. Clint responded that the committee wouldn’t write the white papers. The papers would be brought to the BOG for approval prior to release since they would be released under CREA’s name. Need to decide who is the targeted audience? Is it only for CREA member? For bargaining unit members? Julius and Clint will create a proposal for a new committee.

Senior Level Issue: There are a few senior level bargaining unit members left. The issue has to do with provisions in the MOU regarding senior level pay and the timing for submitting performance files. The LOC is supposed to give provide senior level employees with letters with bonus information before the performance files are due, but the LOC claims that due to the budget not being set that they are unable to notify the senior-level employees about the bonus amounts per the MOU. CRS drafted an MOU specifying that the original MOU remains in place. The senior-level employees preferred providing the LOC with a waiver specific to this year.

Contract Negotiations/Impasse Panel: The initial schedule established by the impasses panel has expired.  It is taking a while for the Library to write and negotiate the fact-finder’s (Joe Swerdzewski’s) contract. It should be done by the end of the month. The impasses panel does not need a formal request for an extension. It will establish a new schedule once CREA, the Library, and the fact-finder find a date to begin the process.

No open mic.

B.O.G. Meeting Minutes – March 5, 2014

Board of Governors Meeting Minutes

March 5, 2014

 

Meeting came to order at 12:05

Minutes: The minutes from the February 12 and February 19 meeting were approved with minor edits.

Outcome of Grievance Vote: The grievance committee engaged CREA counsel in a conference call to discuss certain outstanding questions. The committee asked President Moteff to request additional information from management and to request an additional extension. Management argued that the information request did not state with enough specificity the particularized need for the information and how CREA would use the information and did not agree to the extension. After further consultation with counsel it was decided not to resubmit the information request since it was not clear that the information existed or would improve CREA’s case. The committee voted to recommend not taking the grievance to arbitration. The Board concurred. President Moteff informed the Library that it was not taking the grievance forward but reserved the right to raise the issue again should it occur.

Library of Congress/CRS Budget: President Moteff attended the House Appropriations, Legislative Branch Subcommittee’s hearing on the Library budget. CRS requested $108 million, a $3 million increase above the current FY2014 budget. No programmatic increases requested. The additional funds would cover cost of living increases, within-grades, promotions, etc. Most of the hearing focused on copyright issues. One member specifically mentioned CRS positively at the end of the hearing. President Moteff mentioned that the Subcommittee is accepting written statements from outside organizations and he will try to draft something. The statements are due by week’s end.

Director’s Open Forum Meetings: President Moteff asked if the Board had any feedback or comments about the Director’s meetings. The back-and-forth between the Director and one of the CRS staff relating to snow policy, which occurred at the second meeting, was discussed. President Moteff asked and the Board affirmed that it would be useful to send again an earlier message to the bargaining unit that, while CREA has had some discussions with the Director about this policy, CREA still  has not seen any written policy to which it can respond.

Open Mike:  Governor Ester, based on an earlier item on G&F’s office remodeling, asked whether office remodeling was planned for the rest of CRS. President Moteff offered that it was his understanding that remodeling to new “ergonomic” office furniture was planned for the whole of CRS, but that implementation has been occurring slowly over years.

Meeting of the Membership Committee: V.P. Grasso said that a meeting of the Membership Committee planned for this week was cancelled and was rescheduled for next Monday at 9AM in the 6th floor cafeteria.

 

 

Attendance:  
Jack Moteff, Pres. Karma Ester, DSP
Clint Brass ,G&F Chelsea Robertson, Office Support
Valerie Grasso, VP Patty Figliola, RSI
Bryan Sinquefield, CIP/PUB Carol Hardy Vincent, RSI
Phillip Brogsdale, Treasurer Michael Martin, FDT
Betty Jean Oladapo, FIN