1. Minutes. The minutes of December 3, 2008, were accepted with a few modifications.
2. Election of New Governor from RSI. After Debbie Stine had introduced herself, Governor McCarthy moved that she be elected to the Board of Governors. Governor Burrows seconded. The vote in favor was unanimous.
3. Authoring and Publishing System. Discussion ensued over concerns expressed by some CRS authors about the listing of work phone extensions and e-mail addresses in reports published in the new system. The Board reviewed a seven-point proposal from CREA to management, and agreed that a few modifications should be made and that other suggested revisions should be forwarded to President Roth and Vice President Moteff. Topics of continued concern included the need to ensure that CRS service to Congress is of the highest quality throughout the Service’s transition to the new system; the potential impact of publishing authors’ direct contact information; the role and responsibility of management in ensuring the system’s success; and the merits of holding periodic information sessions with implementation team members. The Board expressed the sense that CREA should document any problems resulting from the publication of author contact information, and request and analyze Help Desk data on problems reported in the new system.
3. CREA Holiday Party. Vice President Moteff said he had contacted an a capella music ensemble about performing during the party, and that he would send word to the Board about the group’s performance fee.
4. Vending Machine Update. President Roth said that an extension had been made to allow labor relations representatives to discuss the matter with the Library.
5. Phone System During Emergencies. The Board discussed issues of potential concern, including access to printing functions during network shutdowns, network interconnectedness, and personnel assistance and access to health care and TSP information.
Meeting adjourned at 1 p.m.